These set of video lectures are a useful review for the USMLE psychiatry test. They explore the basics of a mental status examination when interviewing psychiatric patients.
- Mental status exam:
- General description
- Appearance, attitude rapport.
- Behaviour /Activity
- Akathesia: inability to sit still, restlessness (side effects of neuroleptic drugs)
- Differences between:hallucination and illusion.
- Types of hallucinations: auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory.
- Content of thought
- Minimental status exam: alertness, level of consciousness, orientation to time, person, place.
- Features of dementia.
- Concentration and attention.
- Sensorium and cognition.